Music tugs at our emotions. Some songs make us happy and want to dance, while others make us want to cry. There are also some songs that I find empowering. Here are five songs encouraging self-empowerment, whether that be in empowering you to be your true self and be happy about it, getting over a breakup, or finding strength in everyday hardship and struggles:
Hmm.. notice a trend? All the songs are from female artists. I actually tried to find a song I found empowering from a male artist or band, but let’s be real. Us women specialize in these types of songs!
1) “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga – “Don’t hide yourself in regret. Just love yourself and you’re set.”
2) “Fighter” by Christina Aguilera – “Makes me that much stronger. Makes me work a little bit harder. It makes me that much wiser.”
3) “Firework” by Katy Perry – “You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine. Just own the night like the 4th of July.”
4) “Superwoman” by Alicia Keys – “Still when I’m a mess, I still put on a vest with an ‘S’ on chest. Oh yes, I’m a Superwoman.”
5) “What Doesn’t Kill You (Stronger)” by Kelly Clarkson – “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Stand a little taller. Doesn’t mean I’m lonely when I’m alone.”
What songs empower you?